Tuesday, July 5, 2011

First post


I have decided I’d like to blog.  In deciding this it became apparent I’m not really sure what to blog about, nor did I know how to title said blog.  After much pondering over the last couple of weeks I have decided that my blog’s title should be “For the Love of…”

Many people find the word love over-used.  At times I have been inclined to agree, but as time has passed I find my perspective has changed.  How could the word “Love” be over-used?  The types of love are so varied and often synonyms just don’t do justice for the emotion to be portrayed.  Besides with so much pain, suffering, hate, and distrust, why not over use the word love? Maybe somehow it could counter-act all the negativity.

Anyways, “For the Love of…” is open ended, because I have so many loves. 

I love my husband, My Christopher, passionately.  We’ve been married for 2.5 years and I fall more in love with him each day.  He’s my best friend and I am thankful every day for the broken road that led us to one another.  We laugh.  We frolic.  We talk.  We were simply meant to be. 

I love my children, Matthew and Christian, completely; they were not born to me, but they are and will always be mine and I strive to be the best step-mom ever J  They have grown so much from the first time we met over 4 years ago.  They are loving, respectful, intelligent and I am so very proud of both of them.  Matthew is ten going on 30.  He loves to read and is very imaginative.  Christian is eight and fortunately he’s very laid back.  He lets Matthew run the show most of the time.  He’s also very imaginative and it shows in his drawing.  They are both all boy and love everything super hero and war. 

Chris and I have begun the journey to adopt as well.  We are very excited about how and when God will expand our family.  We have two great boys and can’t wait until another child enters our home!  We are planning to foster because there are so many children who need a stable home until they can be returned to their biological family.  However, many children are never able to return and to those children we want to offer our constant love and advocacy.  We know this is a hard road, but also know it will be rewarding.  We will help some families that need it along the way and will ultimately expand ours to a beautiful child who needs a mom and dad.

I love my red-lored Amazon, Coop; he’s a member of our family.  Coop is a well-adjusted parrot.  He vacations with us, plays with us, loves baths, and food – including mashed potatoes, steamed carrots, grits, scrambled eggs, and blueberries!  What can I say, the whole family likes food J 

I LOVE food!  I’m a total foodie! We discuss food and recipes often around the house.  We discuss vitamin content, balancing, fresh foods, and so many other topics.  Staples in our house include hummus, fresh fruits and veggies, blueberries (which we picked ourselves from a local farm), and our backyard garden!  I am so excited about the garden! We built it last year.  It’s is a raised garden measuring 24’L x 6’W x 4’D; It is massive!  I LOVE it!  We are growing spaghetti squash, tomatoes, eggplants, and a variety of peppers this year! We’ve already harvested a number of tomatoes and peppers and the eggplants should be ready any time now.  Mmmmm baba ganush soon and eggplant parm –YUMMY!  Matthew loves to cook with me.  Christian mostly likes to enjoy the products of the cooking.  My beautiful niece, Phoenix 2.5yrs old, has also started baking with me when she comes to stay.  Food and Family – I love them J  Cooking with your kids is such a great way to spend time together AND to teach a necessary life skill as well as stress the importance of nutrition.  It’s a win and one of my many loves!

There are many activities I love.  I love reading and playing little puzzles like word games.  As a family I enjoy swimming, hiking, riding bikes around the neighborhood, evening walks, attending church, picnics in the living room and outdoors, and tv/movie time.  We joined the neighborhood pool this year.  It has been well worth it.  The boys and I go every day they’re here.  It’s great exercise as well as being so fun on these hot Alabama summer days!  I’m glad my Sis-in-Law, Lindsey joined too. It’s been nice to spend time together and really get to interact more with my nephew, Cohen, too.

“For the Love of…” life, children, God, family, friends, community.  I hope to share mine and my families love.  I hope this blog shares our mountaintops, our valleys, our trials, and what brings us to those highest highs and through those occasional lows – Love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment